Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Perspective

Bobby is a lot of things.  Most things are reasons I love him so much.  Some things I love him in spite of.  And still others are somewhere in the middle.  This post is the result of one of the "in the middle" things.  


Bobby has become my blog motivator.  Not in the way you might think, where he would subtly encourage me to write something new...more in the way a coach might provoke a player to try harder by letting him know how bad he is.  Let me clarify...He LOVES my writing.  He does NOT love how long it takes me to write a new post.  So whenever he has gotten annoyed with checking the site only to find there still isn't anything new, he let's me know about it.  Tonight he said, "Man, you really suck at blogging.  You write something like once a month."


He's really insightful like that.  Of course, I'm just picking on him for picking on me, but he's right.  I haven't put enough energy into keeping this thing going lately.  I'll think about it and put it off in my head, but when Bobby says something about it, I suddenly have a clock ticking in my brain.  So even though he's a goober about it, I appreciate the push.


So here we are.


My big news for today is that Joshua is now officially a kisser.  He has started puckering his lips and leaning in for kisses within the past week.  He also has done it consistently and not just one time, which is big because sometimes our victories feel short-lived.  But this victory I have been celebrating since last Friday.  Now, I love both boys the same and Caleb's kisses are just as precious and seriously melt this Momma's heart to mush, but we have been waiting so long to enjoy this sign of affection with Joshua that it's hard not to treat it as a huge accomplishment.  Things are starting to spark inside of him and it leaves me eagerly awaiting the next thing we will get to celebrate.


Caleb has started saying so much in the last couple weeks, it feels like he's aged six months.  He is repeating almost everything we prompt him to, except (STILL), 'Momma' and 'Daddy'.  We both feel like we have waited too long to hear those names called and I am not at all dreading the day that I hear it 100 times in an hour.  


It's all about perspective.


I have had to work extra hard the past few months to remind myself of this truth.  Our perspective on our marriage, our kids, our daily routine, and life in general, controls how bumpy or how smooth the journey is.  How burdensome or how light.  How exhausting or how peaceful.  


And it's not just what perspective, but Whose...


Our feeble minds just don't see things the way God does, or the way He intends for us to.  We are so inclined to view things in the context of our circumstances at the present time, instead of the context of life's bigger picture.  And usually, HORRIBLY, we base our perceptions on emotions.  Emotions that come and go as quickly as a celebrity romance.  I'm no stranger to this and I'm trying really hard to change it.  


I'm reminding myself that the things that sway me and stress me out and make me angry are so trivial compared to the problems many, many people in this world are facing.  I am blessed beyond comprehension.


I'm reminding myself that even when life seems to be pulling Bobby and I in opposite directions, I know that man's heart and it is as pure and big and soft as I could ever hope for my own to be.  


I'm reminding myself that regardless of what happens on a day to day basis, I know that the end of the story works out for my good.  


Ultimately, I'm reminding myself that usually the way we view things...so limited and incomplete and boxed in, is completely opposite of the raw truth.  






"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, says the Lord." Isaiah 55:8 AMP


"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."
Proverbs 19:21 AMP

1 comment:

  1. Friend. You have no idea how much I needed to read this today. And I love that you used the word "goober" because it's like our all time favorite word around here :) You and Bobby sound hilarious and perfect together haha! But seriously, I LOVE your writing.

    ReplyDelete