{Insert obligatory acknowledgment of how long it's been since I've posted here}
I have an estimated four loads of laundry pleading with me through the laundry room door. But it's rainy out and I'm trying to get over a busy weekend (fun busy, but busy), so I'm pretending I don't hear their muffled cries to be washed, dried and put away neatly. Instead, (at least for the moment) I've opted to sit here watching The Price is Right with Caleb while he plays on my phone. Watching him "talk" to the app is only slightly less hilarious than his squeals of delight and screaming jabber over the contestants spinning the giant wheel on the television. Who can get anything done with this kind of entertainment?
We haven't had much excitement around here lately, hence the lapse in blogging. It's been pretty routine and I've been even more exhausted than normal when the end of the day rolls around. Still, I'm going to try and give a little update on all of us for those of you who are interested.
Bobby: Really awesome husband. Really hard worker. Really funny. Really good-looking. Nothing new here. Except he's taking me on a fishing trip with another couple in May and I'm starting to get seriously excited. We haven't been fishing in a couple of years and we haven't really ever taken this kind of trip together. It's going to be a much needed break and a lot of fun.
Caleb: Adorable. Hilarious. He's starting to say a few new words, and attempting to repeat things a little more, but I'm ready for him to really start talking where we can understand him. He loves to dance and is getting to the age where we are having to start with the discipline. He knows what he can and can't do, but doesn't seem to care much. I'm convinced he thinks his cuteness means he can do whatever he wants.
Joshua: As always he has some days that are better than others, but in general he's making a little progress at a time every day with his ABA therapy. They are really staying on top of his programs, making sure that he is being challenged and given an incentive to work. Friday he repeated one of the therapist's sounds into a microphone which is a really big deal for a couple of reasons. For one, repeating or mimicking (sounds, words, or actions) has NEVER been something Joshua would do. And also, it's the first step toward getting him to say words.
His gut has been in really bad shape for a couple of months, so I would appreciate prayers for that from all of y'all who are praying people. We have tried quite a few things, and just did another stool test to kind of help pinpoint the problem. This is pretty important because he could really use some more chelation to detox him from the toxic metals in his body, but his gut needs to be in better condition before we can do another round.
He is still on a smoothie-only diet, since he refuses any food that is on the diet we are trying to keep him on. So if you want a target for prayer, I would say his gut in general is the big one right now. Most people don't know this, but the gut (stomach, bowels, intestines, etc.) has a lot to do with how well our brain functions. I would love for Joshua to start eating food that is on this diet because it is easier for him to digest, but what would be even better is if his gut would begin to heal overall so that these food allergies wouldn't affect him any more, so then we have more options for what we can offer him.
Despite all of this, he is still the sweetest, most precious little boy (tied with Caleb, of course).
Me: I'm good. Still expecting a miracle, but still continuing to pray. Still doing everything I can in the natural in the meantime, because if the miracle is going to come through modern therapy, then I want to be in position for that too. Every day I am learning more and more about what faith really is, and how little of it I had before this happened. And lately I've been thinking a lot more about standing firm on what I believe and not being moved by what other people may think about it. I mentioned that I have a fault of caring too much about what other people think, and it is so true. I analyze basically everything I write here, going over and over in my mind what people might think about it, especially because the internet gives people the platform to be more harsh than they would be in real life. But I'm slowly becoming more comfortable in my own skin, and more comfortable with the fact that I can't please everyone, and not everyone is going to like me or agree with me. At the end of the day, I want to be someone who really believes what she says she does, and lives accordingly. I want to be someone who points to Jesus and says, "I don't know much, but I know Him." I want to be someone who loves without condition or preference, freely, and in a way that is foolishness to this world. I want to be a supportive wife, and a mom that my boys are proud of. I want to show mercy and compassion to people and learn to be more kind. And I don't think any of that is something to be ashamed of so I'm a little confused by why I'm so intimidated to talk about it. Human nature is truly an interesting thing.
Ultimately, I'm trying to soak up every bit of life as it is right now. If you knew the details of my life at the moment, you would probably think that was strange, but there is something about this season...like, I can see myself looking back and wishing I had enjoyed the every day things more instead of just going through the motions to get to the next thing. I'm trying to be consumed less with the routine (even though the routine is inescapable) and more tapped into the little things that make each day special, even if it's just something like giggling with the boys or being thankful for a husband that only wants to be with us at the end of the day....
SO YEAH...We're doing good over here :)
Love. I can relate to you and what you write so well...and I love reading your heart for your family and the woman you want to me. It's so encouraging. So, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a toddler who thinks his cuteness will let him get away with anything :) Jacob is the exact way! I'll be praying for Joshua's gut. I believe the Lord heals and that's what I'll stand on with you.
ReplyDelete