Saturday, January 21, 2012

Telling on Myself

One of the most common compliments I've gotten in my life has been that I am so "real" and "transparent".  I appreciate this as I appreciate any compliment, but it always feels a little strange to hear because it's not something I associate with being a skill.  It's not something I make any conscious effort toward, as a matter of fact, it's more due to my lack of skill at covering up my emotions.  At any rate, I think it's good to share our faults and downfalls with others, ya know, so we don't get all caught up in measuring ourselves against other people who are probably measuring themselves against us.  It's part of the reason I love the Bible, all those people who screwed up so majorly but were still used by God.  David's my favorite example, by the way.


So anyway, I thought I would share a few things I've done recently and things I do on a regular basis and probably shouldn't.  Judge me, if you dare.



  • In case you didn't know, Joshua is on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.  If you aren't familiar with it, it's very strict, and definitely doesn't allow popcorn.  I happened to make some popcorn for Caleb, assuming Joshua wouldn't want any, and guess what?  He wanted some really badly, I felt horrible like I was teasing him with food, and I let him eat the dang popcorn.  But don't worry, I've already done penance for that one in the way of cleaning the worst poop ever out of the upstairs carpet (bad poop is what happens when he eats things he shouldn't).  I thanked God for the inventor of the Rug Dr. today.
  • So what had happened was...OK, I have been trying to work on my language lately.  It's gotten progressively worse over the last year or so and I am having the hardest time I've ever had in getting it reined in.  It doesn't help that I feel extra guilty about it because Bobby is one of those Old School types who thinks it's a turn-off for women to cuss.  Well, the other day I was in the car and for some reason or another, I let a four-letter word slip.  Of course, like something out of my nightmares, my sweet little baby Caleb promptly decided to repeat me.  I can't get the kid to say, "Momma" for anything, but this he says right away.  Needless to say, I immediately knew my foul language days had to be over, because I definitely can't have the first word Joshua ever says be...well...ya know.
  • Any time we have orange juice, I never pour a glass.  I always drink it straight from the jug.  Unless Bobby's around and then I humor him.
  • I text and drive.  I know, I know.  I don't need a lecture, this is also something I'm working on and know better than to be doing.
  • I eat Taco Bell.  And I love it.  I know it's garbage, but that Cheesy Gordita Crunch owns me.
  • I watch so much T.V., it's embarrassing.  Seriously.
  • I spend way too much time on the internet.  Equally embarrassing.
  • I care too much about what people think of me.  But not only that, I attempt to pretend like I don't care at all.  Because of this, it's really hard for me to take criticism, especially from the people I really love the most.  I have battled insecurity my whole life, and I am still trying to recognize it in the small areas it creeps into.
  • I make zero effort to conserve water.  Like, none.  As much more green as I've gotten (than I was, not compared to people who really are green-living), this is one area I just don't have the concern over.
  • I love my husband too much.  OK, OK, I had to have one of the fake ones in there.
  • I really love sleep.  If I was still 27, but without kids, I would still be sleeping until noon every chance I got.
  • I have a major sweet tooth, and ice cream is my favorite.  Actually, just add all junk food to this one.
  • Even though I quit smoking way back when I got pregnant with Joshua, I still want it on an almost daily basis.  If I walk past someone smoking, I start to salivate.  For real.  I'm not just exaggerating.  
  • I rarely get a load of laundry finished without having to re-heat it in the dryer about three times before I can fold it.  And then it takes me about a day and a half to get the folded stuff put up.  

Well, that's a start, but I'm sure I'll have to do more of these in the future.  What are some of the things you could tell on yourself about??

2 comments:

  1. Oh why?! Now I'm CRAVING Taco Bell. hahaha! That's the one food place I'm ALWAYS ashamed to admit that I love with all my heart. Laundry, four letter words, t.v. and internet, caring about what people think, but pretending I don't...me too!!! (did I ever tell you that Judah's first "word" was Sh@#? He's since lost it, but for a long period of time, he would randomly shout it and we'd try to pretend he was saying "shut" bahahaha! I promise you)

    I LOVE this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh my friend...I love thee!!!:)

    ReplyDelete